History

Golf club

Golf started at 'Hallowes' in 1890/1891 when local enthusiasts approached farmer Ashton of Hallowes for permission to play over his fields. Subsequently a golf club named Dronfield Golf Club was formed by the Easter of 1892 and consisted of 9 holes in the fields currently used by the 2nd 3rd, 16th, 17th, 18th and 4th holes. The initial 'Clubhouse' was a tent, then later a rented room. The Membership at this time consisted of just 35 golfers.

By the autumn of 1896 the course had been extended to 18 holes and it was decided to change the name to Hallowes Golf Club. In 1898 the application to join the Yorkshire Union of golf clubs was accepted.

In 1897 'Rose Cottage' (now demolished) was purchased and became the second Clubhouse situated just behind the current 17th green.

Additional land was rented in the early 1900s but this also remained in use by the farmer and, therefore, animals, sheep, horses, grazing cattle and haystacks were the hazards of the course.

In 1906 another 20 acres of land was leased and the 9th, 10th, 15th and 16th were created expanding the course an additional half mile to just over 3 miles. A new 18th hole was developed, proper tees built and tree planting commenced in 1911. By 1913 the course had vastly improved and became known as one of the more interesting in the district. Membership had increased to 267.

In 1920 the land consisting of the 5th, 15, and 16th holes, plus another additional field were purchased, and by 1925 plots of 19.5, 42 and 114 acres were obtained and when added to the 19.5 already owned totalled 195 acres. The course was remodelled in 1932 and lengthened to 6,000 yards.

In 1921 Hallowes Farm and Farmhouse were purchased to become part of our current Clubhouse.

Test drilling to the sub-strata for water took place in 1935 and was so successful that we still obtain all our water requirements for the course to this day.

In 1941, 18 acres of land consisting of the 1st and 2nd holes was commandeered by the War Office and ploughed up for the production of food. This was returned to the Golf Club in 1954 after which the 1st hole and the practice area were established. All the courses bunkers were emptied and refilled with new sand.

The last major alteration to the course was in 1972 when the Dronfield Bypass was constructed and this caused the loss of the 6th and 9th holes, the 7th tee and the 10 hole except for the green. Replacement holes were constructed and this section of the course opened in August 1973.

Clubhouse

Andrew Moorewood bought the Hallowes Estate and built his prestigious house, Hallowes Hall in 1657. A date stone above the front entrance remains to this day. During the late sixteenth century a long barn with an oak beamed roof and brew house were built, and in the mid-seventeenth century an outside gazebo was added. It remains an imposing and relatively complete example of a mid-seventeenth century, three storey, H-plan house constructed of squared, coursed coal measures sandstone. In spite of the single storey modern additions, the gabled style, the two fine doorways and the multitude of mullioned windows are still redolent of a long past.

Hallowes Hall was acquired by the Hallowes Golf Club in 1923 when the long barn, containing an ancient beamed open roof, was converted and is still in use as the male members and male visitors locker room. Within its walled structure there is evidence of an even earlier timber framed building.

Although the interior is much altered, some of the rooms retain their moulded plasterwork ceilings, the first floor room in the central section, now the Ladies locker room, having a simple but elegant enriched design at the beam intersections. The attic in the eastern crossing also still has two upper cruck tresses in its roof construction.

At later dates, the area between the house and the barn became the Men’s Changing Room Lobby where all the Club’s notices and competition entry forms are posted. The Main Lobby is the reception area situated between the front and rear centrally located entrances.

One of the original rooms has become the Snooker Room that contains two snooker tables with all the associated equipment. The Main and Small Bar’s decor and furniture are in the tradition style that compliments the age and character of the 17th century building, with lower wood panelled walls, brick fireplace and tiled hearth.

In the 1934 another addition to the building was added and this 55’ x 27’ extension created the Dining and Function Room which is large enough to seat approximately 100 people. There is a small but adequate stage that is frequently used by professional entertainers and bands.

Course Status
Currently open
Weather
  • 2018-08-18
  • 2018-08-19
  • 2018-08-20
  • 2018-08-21
  • 2018-08-22
Need to know more weather details? Click here to see the weather for the next 5 days.
News
  • Seniors Open 2019
    newsthumbnail
  • Seniors Open 2018
    newsthumbnail
Calendar
Loading the Calendar...